Sunday, August 17, 2008

August 17, 2008-Back to the Mannings-Putting the Pieces Together

Today, as I was reading some Walker County, Georgia history, I came across a site that was listing historical sites in Walker County. The internet site was called Waymarking.com. The interesting finding was a house in Walker County named the William Little House. It is a house in which Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood spent some time recouperating after the Battle of Chickamauga. In that battle, Gen. Hood was injured and his leg was amputated just below the hip. Gen. Hood was invited to stay in the William Little House by Col. Francis "Frank" Little, the son of William. Prior to going to the William Little House, Gen. Hood had been treated at the Clisby-Austin House, home turned into hospital, in Tunnel Hill, Georgia.

Col. Frank Little had served in the 11th Georgia Infantry, Anderson's Brigade and Gen. John Bell Hood's Division at the Battle of Chickamauga.

When it caught my eye, I remembered that William Little was a neighbor of Thomas Manning Jr. (Thomas III). They both are buried in the Young Family Cemetery in Walker County. On the 1860 census of Walker County, William Little is household #680 and Thomas Manning is household #699. They were both land owners with property and estates valued at least $12,000 and above.

That suggests to me that they may have lead similar lifestyles. The picture of the William Little House reflects a rather genteel setting, white house, wrap around porch. I immediately thought that is possible that Thomas Manning had a comparable house in Walker County. So, I have saved a picture of the William Little House and I can reflect on Thomas Manning when I look at it and wonder what kind of house Thomas had. I think it was like William Little's house.

The William Little House
Walker County, Georgia



No comments: