Sunday, October 12, 2008

October 12, 2008-Mallow Cemetery in Mallow, Virginia


On September 25, 2008, I visited the Mallow Cemetery in Mallow, Virginia which is near Covington, Virginia. The cemetery is located at the site that was the plantation of Michael Mallow, Sr. (1757-1830).

The cemetery is small and fenced with an elaborate white iron fence. It sits at the end of a street and almost in the back yard of a home in a fairly new housing development. At the opposite end of the street and across the rail road tracks is the Mallow Mall. As I stood in the cemetery, I was stepping back in time and never thought of the Mall being so close. Standing in the cemetery and looking East you get a great view of the mountains. While you can't see it from the cemetery, the Jackson River flows just at the base of the mountain. I could almost imagine how it must have been so peaceful at the time the Mallows lived on the property.

Michael Mallow Sr. is my 5th great grandfather. His son was Michael Mallow Jr. and he married Charlotte Gortner. While they were living in Virginia, their fifth child born was Stewart Dickey Mallow, my 3rd great grandfather. Michael and Charlotte moved West and ultimately settled in Hempstead, Arkansas for a while. It was there that Stewart Dickey Mallow married Jerusha Jane Heffington. Their daughter Amanda Mallow was my great-great grandmother. Amanda married George Griffith. Their daughter Laura Griffith was my great grandmother. The Mallows eventually moved to Collin County Texas. Laura married Forbis Manning and their daughter Eula Manning was my grandmother.
In my blog on August 26, 2008, I wrote about Laura Manning's uncles and their military service. Her uncles were the brothers of Stewart Dickey Mallow and they all lived in Collin County Texas.

I couldn't help but think of the descendents of Michael Mallow Sr. while I visited the cemetery. Michael Sr. is buried at Mallow Cemetery, but his grave marker is not apparent. There are numerous very old markers with no names on them. His son John Mallow and his wife Martha are buried there. So are their children: William, Charlotte Ann, Bridget Emiline and Elizabeth and their spouses and some of their children.

I have put the pictures of the Mallow Cemetery on the website flickr. You can go the the following link and look at the pictures.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am also a descendant of Michael Mallow and greatly appreciate seeing these pictures. Thanks so much for posting these. I have some family pictures you might like to see. My email is troypatecompany@yahoo.com. I'd love to share family history info.