Saturday, December 6, 2008

Dec. 6, 2008-Robert Manning 1778-1854

I seem to keep jumping from one generation of Mannings to another. The reason being that as I continue to research the Manning family, new information emerges that sends me in a different direction. Robert Manning is the son of our first generation of Mannings. His parents were Thomas Manning and Elizabeth Read. His siblings were Thomas J. Manning, William Manning, Catherine "Catey" Manning, Elizabeth Manning and Mary Polly Manning.

I have previously written about Robert's brother Thomas J. Manning whom is my direct ancestor. He was married to Elizabeth Beck. His son Thomas Manning who was married to Jane Stewart had a son, Dr. Thomas J. Manning. It is Dr. Manning who is my great, great grandfather.

I have also written about William Manning. He married Nancy Thomas and they migrated to Marshall County, Alabama. Their son Thomas M. Manning had children: one who married a Mr. Roden who died at the Buck Island Massacre, another who married a Mr. Rollings who killed William Manning, another who shot off the leg of one husband. It was on November 1, 2008 that I told you a little about them.

I haven't found out much about the sisters of Robert, Thomas and William. Today, I will tell you about Robert Manning. He was born in 1778 in York, SC. He married Mary Ann, but I don't know her last name. Robert was a planter, meaning plantation owner, in York. On the 1850 York, SC Slave Schedule, Robert is shown to have owned 22 slaves ranging in age from 2 - 80.
Robert appears on census from 1820 until 1850. On the 1860 census, his wife Mary A. Manning is the head of the household and a widow. Five of her children live with her. The census shows the value of Mary's real estate to be $8000. and the value of the personal estate to be $19,999.

In his will which was proven November 30, 1854 Robert names all his children, leaves everything to his wife Mary Ann Manning and leaves $1.00 to each of his sons-in-law. The following is the transcription of his will.

York County SC Will Book 3 1840-1862

Pages 307-309: South Carolina, York District. Will of Robert Manning of York District, planter on Broad River and Kings Creek....to my beloved wife Mary Ann Manning all this tract of land where I now live with the household and kitchen furniture and farming utensils and seven negroes: Charles, Dick, Sarah, Jackoles, Pickens, Margare, Ann, to hold during her natural life then to go to my six sons:
Joseph B. Manning
Thomas W. Manning
Robert L. Manning
John M. Manning
William C. Manning
Commodore P. Manning
I give to my daughter Sarah C. Hill one negroe named Vina. To my daughter Jane C. Kennedy one negroe girl named Eliza. To my daughter Levina R. Carpenter one negro girl named Susy. To my daughter Mary M. Manning one negroe (not named). I leave five negroes to be sold at my death by my executor with all notes, money and debts to pay my just debts. The negroes to be sold are Lewis, Suckey, Giles, Pickens, Jim. To my wife Mary all my stock of every kind during her life then to be equally divided between my six sons and my interest in a tract of land of Thomas Manning deed on Bogan's branch to be equally divided between my six sons. I give to Alexander Hill my son in law $1. I give to Madison Hambright my son in law $1, also John Kennedy $1, also to Isaac Carpenter $1. I appoint Joseph B. Manning sole executor, 15 ___1854. Robert Manning (LS), Wit: R. W. Hughs, Eli McDaniel, Morgan Martin. Proved by the oath of R. W. Hughs and Eli McDaniel 30 Nov 1854. Qualified Jos. B. Manning as executor 30 Nov 1854.

In my next posting, I will give information about the children of Robert Manning.

Addendum: Dec. 24, 2008-I haven't learned much about the children of Robert Manning. So, I will wait until I have more information and then tell you about them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!