Sunday, February 21, 2010

February 21, 2010-Thomas Manning's Dissertation

Thomas Jefferson Manning graduated from the University of Nashville Medical School in 1855. I have explored various ways to verify his attendance and graduation. In October 2009, I spent time researching the medical faculty that were there when he would have attended. In doing so, I came across the digital library of Vanderbilt University. On that site they had some dissertations that were completed by medical students at the University of Nashville about the same time he attended. (The University of Nashville Medical School subsequently became Vanderbilt University.) I contacted the library and asked if they had a dissertation for Thomas Jefferson Manning. They responded that they weren't sure, but they would have all of the University of Nashville dissertations on-line soon. They suggested I check back. Well, just this past week, I checked back and sure enough, Thomas Manning's dissertation was available on-line.

At the same site, I referenced a Report of the University of Nashville Medical School for the years that included 1855. In that report they listed the graduates, and again there was Thomas Jefferson Manning from Villanow, Georgia. So, in the course of a week, I now have two sources that verify Dr. Manning's attendance and graduation at the University of Nashville.

I hope you take a look at his dissertation, it's only 14 pages. It is handwritten in a beautifully written manner. He uses some eloquent analogies and clearly states his facts. The title of the dissertation is "An Inaugural Dissertation on Menstruation". From what I saw on the dissertation site, others chose the same topic. I think the opportunity to read what my Great, Great Grandfather wrote in 1855 adds a nice connection to him. It lets you look at his handwriting and see a document that allowed him to complete his medical training. Here's the link:

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/sc_diglib/etexts/Dissertations/Manning_T_J.pdf

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I am happy the link was helpful. It is very interesting to read the dissertations posted on that site. The library site also has other medically related information. Thanks for reading about Thomas Manning.

WAA said...

I've read with interest your research of your gg-gf's education at the Univ of Nashville Medical School. My g-gf, Thomas A. Allen (1837-1917) of Marshall Co TN, was an 1860 graduate of the Medical School. Following 4 yrs service in Smith's 4th TN Cavalry, T. A. Allen married a lady from Berlin TN; built a home & separate office on a farm given to the couple by her father; and practiced medicine & managed his farm there until ~ 1905. I grew up in the house he built there, and spent many rainy days playing in "the office". I have T. A. Allen's diploma (a real sheep skin), license, a dozen text books, a number of medical instruments, 4 ledger books giving all his accounts for virtually all his practice, some of his correspondence, a number of photos. I have collected some Univ of Nashville research also. I have a few photos of the buildings made during Union occupation. If you would like to exchange notes, my address is waaberlin@gmail.com
Bill Allen, West Bend WI