Friday, January 28, 2011

New Brunswick Canada and The New Year

For the past two years that I have been doing this blog, I print each blog entry. At the end of the year I have the pages bound into a book. I add these books to my collection of old books because they have been about family history. When I went to print 2010, I realized that I hadn't written too much last year. So, this year I will try to add more history for my family. At first, I will be focusing on New Brunswick, Canada and the Bonner family.

In my blog of May 1, 2010, I mentioned that I had requested a copy of the Civil War Pension file of great grandfather, Thomas Henry Bonner. It was a long time coming, but arrived on December 24. Great Christmas present!!!! It is 267 pages in length and I have spent many hours reading and sorting through the pages. Since Thomas Henry Bonner was born in 1845 in New Brunswick, I have been focusing on the history of the area and the Bonners who lived there.


To get this years blog posts off to a good start, I am showing you a great advertisement that I obtained from The York Sunbury Museum in Fredericton, New Brunswick. The museum has a blog and recently published all the pages from McAlpine's York and Carleton Counties Directory for 1884-85. This is an ad on page 31 of the directory for George H. Davis, Druggist and Apothecary. I don't know if the Bonner family who might have remained in New Brunswick until 1884 would have gone to George Davis' Apothecary, but if they did I wonder if they knew what all these item were.

Some of the items you can come to some conclusion about, but others were a mystery to me, such as Aperient Pills and Opodildoc. I found definitions for both. The Aperient Pills were laxatives. Aperiens is Latin for "to open or uncover". Opodildoc is a linament and used externally for pain or injuries.


The one item from the apothecary that I know I would never buy is Davis' Vegetable Worm Lozenges. Worm Lozenges??? If you would like to read the blog of the York Sunbury Museum, you can find it at this link: http://yorksunburymuseum.wordpress.com/


In the next blog, I will begin to tell you about the Civil War Pension file of Thomas Henry Bonner, my great grandfather.

5 comments:

BlackNBNoir Admin said...

Hi Sharon!

The Davis advertisement is my favourite page from the McAlpine Directory so far. It's a big project and I have several pages left, so I expect I'll find several more treasures.

Thank you for posting the link, I shared your page on the Museum Facebook page. You never know where you'll find distant relatives! Good luck with your research and I hope you manage to write many posts this year.

Check back often for more McAlpine entries, there's 436 pages in the book and I'm only on page 51!!

Cheers!
Ruth

Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon said...

Ruth,
Thank you for posting my blog link on your website. I have also found another Bonner on page 22 of the McAlpine Directory. It was Amanda widow of Henry. Henry was the brother of my great grandfather, Thomas Bonner.

I am on the museum mailing list so I am getting to see all of the pages of McAlpine. Thanks for posting all of them.

Sharon Bonner Brown

BlackNBNoir Admin said...

I was going to ask you about Amanda. It's wonderful to learn that researchers are benefiting from this project. I have a much larger provincial directory that I'm strongly considering as another transcription project but may have to recruit a few volunteers to assist me with it. It's the McAlpine 1889/96 directory and it has 1224 pages. It would be such a great resource to have on the internet!

Thanks!
Ruth

Sharon said...

Ruth,
1224 pages sounds like lots of work. This week on my blog I am going to start with the siblings of Thomas Bonner instead of his pension file summary. If you go to the blog, I would appreciate your comments or suggestions. You could email me at skbrownrn@aol.com.
Thank you,
Sharon