Monday, March 14, 2011

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling

St. Patrick's Day is this Thursday and I wanted to get an early start on a Happy St. Patrick's Day blog post. I have always loved St. Patrick's Day, but this year it has a different meaning to me. After obtaining the Civil War Pension File of Great Grandfather Thomas Henry Bonner just in December, it confirmed that Thomas Bonnar was indeed Irish. Both of his parents James Bonnar and Margaret Chalmers were born in Ireland. They immigrated to New Brunswick, Canada in 1835. I have just begun the search to learn where James Bonnar's home was in Ireland. After talking with an experienced genealogist specializing in Irish genealogy, I am looking at Donegal. I have found some Bonnars in Moville, but need to research the records to see what can confirm that Great great grandfather, James Bonnar was from Moville. If you know any Irish Bonnars, please let me know.

When I was a small child, my Father, Henry Bonner, would frequently quiz me on what I knew about my nationalities. He would say, "Now, tell me, what nationalities are you?" Of course, I knew what I was suppose to say. I would smile, bend down and touch my knees, then throw my hands in the air and say, "I'm Indian, French and Irish". It was really fun and he was proud of me when I did that. The Indian and French origins I knew, but the Irish I didn't know and guess I was too young to ask. Probably from that little quiz, I have always remembered Irish things. Like in grade school, we always celebrated St. Patrick's Day. The nuns must have all been Irish. We did what we called "The Irish Jig". A fun dance of jumping, hopping, criss-crossing your legs and lots of clapping. I remember that my Godmother was Kathleen O'Connor and her daughter was Suzanne O'Connor. One of my good friends in grade school was Sharon Fitzpatrick. Then in college at the University of Oklahoma, there was a local spot known as O'Connell's Irish Pub where you could get lunch and a beer.

All those things seem minor now compared to knowing that I really am of Irish descent. Watched a PBS show last evening about Irish music. It was called "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling". All those songs also had a different meaning. Today I went to my bookshelves and found my favorite book. It is called Angela's Ashes by Frank McCort. Published in 1996 and winner of the Pultizer Prize in 1997, it is about Mr. McCort's life as a child of an immigrant Irish family and the hardships his family endured.

So, today just a few days before St. Patrick's Day, my eyes are smiling. Here's a link to a vintage video of the song, "Irish Eyes Are Smiling" for you to enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIsduCQ7ByE

No comments: