Tuesday, September 11, 2012

James Bonnar Family from Scotland


Writing this blog has been very interesting, I've learned a whole lot and have received positive feedback from readers.  Recently, I was contacted by two different descendants of the Bonnar Family of New Brunswick Canada.   Each of them shared some very interesting information with me.  One of them, who descended from Maude Bonner Pangburn told me that in her family they were taught to never say the Bonner family was from Ireland, even though they moved to Canada from Ireland.  In fact, they were Scottish.  Maude Bonner Pangburn's father was Robert Nelson Bonner.  The descendant who contacted me said that she use to have a picture of her great grandfather, Robert Nelson Bonner, wearing his kilts.  She also said that the Bonner's were a sept of the Graham Clan and that Margaret Chambers Bonner was descended for the Cameron Clan.  In addition, she said that Johanna Harris Bonner, the wife of Robert Nelson Bonner was descended from the Sutherland Clan.  There is quite a bit of information about these Clans on the internet.
As I learn more, I will happily pass it along.

James Bonnar and Margaret Chambers Bonnar immigrated to New Brunswick in 1835 from Ireland.   Their family members had immigrated from Scotland to Ulster county Ireland at some time before then.  When I talked with the second Bonner descendant who contacted me, she verified that she too had been told the Bonners were Scotch-Irish from her great aunt, Alwilda Bonner.  I have been trying to find Bonner ancestors in records of Northern Ireland and I guess now I'll look for Scottish records.  The search continues.

No comments: