Saturday, November 14, 2009

November 14, 2009-My Collections

Now that I have had another birthday, I think I should tell you about all my "collections", as they are vast. First of all, I collect books. Mostly old but also some new books. I have books in every room of the house. Children's books are in Madi's room, rare collectible books are in the family room, medical books are in the book room. I have so many books that some are in boxes in the garage. I actually have an inventory, so I know what books I have.

I also collect sea shells. At one time, I wanted to be a marine biologist, but lived no where near the ocean. So everytime I visited the ocean, I gathered shells. The best shelling I have ever done was on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We lived there for a while and I gathered some great shells there. I have shells throughout the house and I have a shell display table with the most prized shells. I also have shells in my garden.

I collect dolls. Mostly "Story Book Dolls" from my childhood. But I also have some newer dolls and one special handmade doll whose name is Nodie Wall. I named her after Don's 3rd cousin, Nodie Wall in Fannin, Texas.

I collect greeting cards. For a number of years, I have kept every card for every occasion that I have received. I now have four big boxes of cards.

I also collect quilts. I have several quilts made by my grandmother, Mary Harris. I have some quilts made by the mother of my step mother, Lou Bonner. And I have some handmade quilts I have bought.

I collect old documents and souvenier booklets from centennial celebrations. I have lots of those.

I also collect clocks. I have a wonderful collection I inherited from my step-mother. And then I have added my own clocks to the collection.

I collect Native American pottery and baskets. Don and I have purchased a number of wonderful items that have added to our collection. Some pottery and some baskets, all displayed in the family room.

All in all, my collections over run my house. But, I love them and take pride in them.

No comments: